Friday, April 3, 2009

number 137 i was never mean but now i feel like i have been

i didn't think it would ever get to a point where people would even come across my blog...i am now trying to work out how to respond to a comment that just came through to a previous post i wrote prior to boarding the plane in paris over 6 months ago...am i allowed to write creatively to enable my stories to sound more than just another story - or am i actually a mean person that has published the comments that filtered through my head onto this blog, that i thought no one would ever read? and how did this person who wrote this comment come across my blog? all of it is totally curious, and should i delete the post?

the post was about a man that talked to me as i was having my last meal in paris after a long and tedious work trip. it was cold and i was going back to a colder new york city...i had this last little half hour all to myself and was really enjoying my own little moment when a conversation was struck up with me by an american called gary lippman.

mr lippman did in deed seem like an interesting man, but i could not help question his legitimacy when he had a business card that titled himself 'human being', and found the urgency in which he wanted information from me kind of full on. i have often wondered about the differences of cultural courting or as the commenter says 'possible collaboration or friendship,' and if it is a cultural thing that i was not prepared for such immediate unload of personal information, or if i was just too quick to pass judgement. somehow this all gives me faith that there is someone for everyone. maybe mr lippman was not for me, but the fact that the commenter had a nice time with mr lippman is great. the term freak, was just a little bit of additional drama that made the whole scenario seem more interesting than it actually was. apologies to any misinterpretation that was taken from my old post....and i have deleted it.

ralitsa has left a new comment on your post "number 74 human beings":

Why so mean to gary?
I met mr. lippman in more or less similar circumstances, only in NY not Paris. We had, it seems, the same conversation, without the Obama-part since it was post-election. Anyway he is a really nice guy; I had the chance to follow up, and went out with him couple of times (in non-date manner). Have to tell u he is really great.
So I wonder what’s wrong with being nice to people and wanting to befriend them. Seriously, why do u need to call somebody a freak – only because he opened himself to u and offered possible collaboration or friendship?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ana, don't feel mean. The vast majority of us are inherently good human beings that mean no harm to anyone, yourself included. So why is it that we can be subjected to words or actions that make us feel sad (frequently, it seems)? It's because a lot of the time the perpetrator didn't really mean to hurt. Just like you did, with post 74.

I read post 74 and didn't think for one second that it was nasty, although someone obviously did. Their comment has given you the opportunity for a bit of self-reflection. That's all. I wouldn't have even bothered deleting the post.

The answer to your question ... no, you're not a nasty person ... you just put your foot in it at times, the same as the rest of us!